Spring Ginger Pickled in Sweet Vinegar (Gari/Sushi Ginger).
You can have Spring Ginger Pickled in Sweet Vinegar (Gari/Sushi Ginger) using 5 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spring Ginger Pickled in Sweet Vinegar (Gari/Sushi Ginger)
- Prepare 500 grams of Spring ginger root.
- It’s 400 ml of Vinegar.
- It’s 160 grams of Sugar.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Honey.
- It’s 1 tsp of Salt.
Spring Ginger Pickled in Sweet Vinegar (Gari/Sushi Ginger) step by step
- Wash the spring ginger roots, and slice very very thinly without peeling (I used a vegetable peeler to slice it thinly)..
- The ginger roots are not peeled, but do cut off any browned or discolored bits. Don't cut the red shoot ends off. They will turn the ginger a pretty pink color..
- Sprinkle the sliced ginger with a little salt (not listed), and mix up quickly. Leave it for a while..
- Make the sweet vinegar sauce: Put the vinegar, sugar, honey and salt in a pan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low-medium, and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat. Pour into storage jars that have been sterilized in boiling water, and leave to cool..
- Bring water to a boil in another pan, and add the sliced ginger from Step 2, salt and all. Boil for 3 minutes, then drain well. Put the ginger slices in the sweet vinegar sauce filled jars while still hot. (They will turn a pretty pink after some time.).
- You can start eating it the day it's made, but they will taste better after they have been marinating for 4 to 5 days when the flavors will have permeated the ginger, and the vinegar will have become mild. To store the ginger, close the lids tightly and refrigerator..
- Serve with sushi..