There are alternative solutions to installing meld on OS X: Use a different package manager, like Fink, which is mentioned in meld's installation manual, or MacPorts, mentioned in the issue in Homebrew's issue tracker. You can probably also compile from source, but need to get the dependencies yourself. With Meld for Linux, you can compare two or three files and edit them in place. You can compare two or three folders and launch file comparisons. There are many alternatives to Meld for Mac if you are looking to replace it. The most popular Mac alternative is Beyond Compare. It's not free, so if you're looking for a free alternative, you could try KDiff3 or FileMerge. If that doesn't suit you, our users have ranked 40 alternatives to Meld and many of them are available for Mac so hopefully you can find a suitable replacement. If you start Meld from the command line, you can tell it what to do when it starts. For a two- or three-way file comparison, start Meld with meld file1 file2 or meld file1 file2 file3 respectively. For a two- or three-way directory comparison, start Meld with meld dir1 dir2 or meld dir1 dir2 dir3. Yes (Mac OS X) Yes Lazarus Diff Lazarus (software) Yes; GPL Yes 2000 2020-07-11 (2.0.10) Yes Yes Yes FreeBSD Meld: Stephen Kennedy: Yes; GPLv2+ Yes 2002 2019-03-31 (3.20.1) Yes: Yes Yes BSD, Solaris: Notepad (compare) Various Yes; GPLv3: Yes 2009 2015-01-06 (126.96.36.199) Yes: No No Perforce P4Merge: Perforce: No; Proprietary Yes 2019 (2019.1.
Meld for OSX
This is a fork of Meld packaged and bundled for OSX. The original website for Meld is here http://meldmerge.org. Minor work has been done to also integrate OSX menu and shortcuts, but the app is truly the original, excellent Meld.
Download OSX dmg file
You may download any of the following versions. The 3.21.0 (r2) is the latest and the recommended version at this point.
- Version 3.21.0 (r2) Latest (Catalina & Mojave)
- Version 3.19.2 (r5) (Mojave & High Sierra)
- Version 3.19.2 (r3) (Mojave & High Sierra)
- Version 3.19.0 (r1) (Previous stable version - High Sierra)
- Version 3.16.0 (r1) (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 3.15.4 (r2) (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 3.15.2 (r2) (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 3.13.4 (Not for High Sierra)
- Version 1.8 (Not for High Sierra)
Tip: A lot of people are asking how to use this package as a git difftool/mergetool.Once installed, edit your
~/.gitconfig and add the following lines
Tip:Meld OSX also understands/checks for the following environment variables.
The theme change can be done by changing the variable in the wrapper script
find the part that says
and change it to
and you'll have a fully dark meld..
Why Meld for Mac/OSX and not Macports/Homebrew
Top reasons behind using this fork over Macports or
- Retina support (check the screenshot!)
- Latest 3.x series
- No hassle install (drag/drop like any other app)
- Integrates with OSX menu
Supports standard OSX shortcuts (cmd-c/cmd-v instead of ctrl)(Merged to upstream)
- Note: Homebrew now installs Meld for OSX
- To Kai Willadsen http://meldmerge.org/ for creating Meld.
- To the Gnome project https://www.gnome.org/
- To Alex Kras whose web page (How To Run Meld on Mac OS X Yosemite Without Homebrew, MacPorts, or Think) served as my reference for tracking Meld for OSX usage and issues when I had absolutely no time to maintain this.
- Get rid of the Meld wrapper shell script (this should get rid of all the wrappers needed to run Meld from the terminal)
- Support Meld localizations (currently only English works)
Suggestions / Issues
If you have a suggestion or you are facing an issue running this Meld fork, please open an issue here https://github.com/yousseb/meld/issues. Please note that your issue has to be specific to the OSX fork and not to Meld itself. I have no plans/time to work on Meld itself.
Contribute to Meld for OSX
- Head to https://github.com/yousseb/meld
- Fork the repository and clone your fork locally.
- Follow the build instructions in https://github.com/yousseb/meld/blob/master/osx/README.md to generate your own dmg.
- Do your magic, commit and push to your fork.
- Create a pull request.
Not Accepting Donations
I'm not currently accepting donations for the development of this fork. I just missed a proper implementation of Meld on Mac so I thought of creating this fork. If you want to donate, please donate to the original Meld project.
The following is copied from the original Meld page http://meldmerge.org/. Please visit the original project website for more info. For the full help manual, please visit http://meldmerge.org/help/.
What is Meld?
Meld is a visual diff and merge tool targeted at developers. Meld helps you compare files, directories, and version controlled projects. It provides two- and three-way comparison of both files and directories, and has support for many popular version control systems.
Meld helps you review code changes and understand patches. It might even help you to figure out what is going on in that merge you keep avoiding.
Meld For Windows
- Two- and three-way comparison of files and directories
- File comparisons update as you type
- Auto-merge mode and actions on change blocks help make merges easier
- Visualisations make it easier to compare your files
- Supports Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, Subversion, etc.
- …and more
Meld For Mac Os
Meld is licensed under the GPL v2, except as noted
In depth features
- Edit files in-place, and your comparison updates on-the-fly
- Perform two- and three-way diffs and merges
- Easily navigate between differences and conflicts
- Visualise global and local differences with insertions, changes and conflicts marked
- Use the built-in regex text filtering to ignore uninteresting differences
- Syntax highlighting
Meld Comparison Tool
- Compare two or three directories file-by-file, showing new, missing, and altered files
- Directly open file comparisons of any conflicting or differing files
- Filter out files or directories to avoid seeing spurious differences
- Simple file management is also available
- Meld supports many version control systems, including Git, Mercurial, Bazaar and SVN
- Launch file comparisons to check what changes were made, before you commit
- View file versioning statuses
- Simple version control actions are also available (i.e., commit/update/add/remove/delete files)
Meld For Mac
Merge mode (in development)
Meld For Mac
- Automatically merge two files using a common ancestor
- Mark and display the base version of all conflicting changes in the middle pane
- Visualise and merge independent modifications of the same file
- Lock down read-only merge bases to avoid mistakes
- Command line interface for easy integration with existing tools, including git mergetool