The late 2012 Mac Mini server uses an i7-3615QM (2.3GHz model, confirmed I have this one), or i7-3720QM (2.6GHz model). While the processor design itself is capable of supporting 32GB RAM (as you have seen on ark.intel.com), this would actually require 4 memory slots.
- Ram For Mac Mini 2012 16gb
- Mac Mini 2012 Memory Upgrade
- Mac Mini 2012 Max Ram
- 2012 Mac Mini Ram Upgrade
Openradar is not where Apple follows stuff.
- Experience the true speed of your Mac mini with OWC Memory upgrades from MacSales.com. The 2011-2012 Mac mini has 2 memory slots which can handle up to 16GB.
- Apple Mac Mini Desktop - Intel Core i5-4260U 1.4GHz, 4GB LPDDR3 Memory, 500GB HDD, ThunderBolt, MacOS v10.14 Mojave - A1347 MGEM2LL/A (2014-2018) Form Factor: Mini.
If you want to get Apple to consider making a firmware:
1. Go work for them. http://www.apple.com/jobs/
2. Or get a free online developer account at http://developer.apple.com/
and submit a bug report http://bugreporter.apple.com/
This is just a user to user forum to discuss technical issues.
Occasionally some high quality RAM vendors may support more RAM than Apple does officially. This is not the case that I can find on http://www.macsales.com/
Other RAM vendors to look at are
Lifetimemory, Macramdirect, Memoryx.net, The Chip Merchant, EDGE Apple Memory, Kingston (avoid Value RAM, but other versions OK), RAM Jet.
Be sure to look in each late 2012 Mac Mini RAM, and not the RAM labelled: 1600 Mhz PC3-12800 DDR3 SO-Dimm without any indication of it being for Late 2012 Mac Mini.
Feb 13, 2017 7:36 PM
Before you begin
To minimise the possibility of damage to the computer components due to static discharge, it's important to wear an anti-static wrist strap while you work with your computer's memory.
Choose your model
Mac mini models have different memory (RAM) installation requirements. Choose your Mac mini model for more information. If you need help determining which Mac mini you have, find out how to identify Mac mini models.
Mac mini (2018)
Mac mini (Late 2014)
Mac mini (Late 2012)
Mac mini (Mid 2011)
Mac mini (Mid 2010)
Mac mini (Late 2009)
Mac mini (Early 2009)
Mac mini (Mid 2007)
Mac mini (Late 2006)
Mac mini (Early 2006)
Mac mini (Original)
Mac mini (2018) does not have user-installable RAM. You can configure the memory in your Mac mini (2018) when you purchase it. To upgrade the memory in your Mac mini (2018), go to an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider.
Mac mini (Late 2014) has memory that is integrated into the main logic board and can't be upgraded.
2012, 2011, 2010
To remove and install memory in your Mac mini (Late 2012), Mac mini (Mid 2011) or Mac mini (Mid 2010), use the following steps.
Remove the bottom cover
- Turn off your Mac mini. From the Apple menu (), choose Shut Down.
- Disconnect the power cord and all other cables from your Mac mini.
- Lay your Mac mini upside down on a soft cloth or towel and then rotate the bottom cover anticlockwise to the unlocked position.
- Press on the cover to pop up the opposite side, and then remove the cover.
Ram For Mac Mini 2012 16gb
Remove the original memory modules
- Gently spread the clips at the ends of the top memory module just enough to let the free edge pop up.
- Pull the module out of the slot.
- Repeat to remove the second, bottom module.
Install the new memory
- Carefully press the notched edge of the new memory module into the bottom slot while keeping the opposite edge slightly raised.
- Press down on the raised edge until the clips snap into place.
- Repeat to install the top memory module.
Replace the bottom cover
Don't connect the power cable or turn on your Mac mini until you replace the bottom cover. Never operate your Mac mini without the cover in place.
- Replace the bottom cover using the alignment dots to place it in the unlocked position.
- Rotate the cover clockwise to lock it in place.
- Reconnect the power cable and any other cables you disconnected.
After you install the memory, confirm that your Mac mini sees the new memory.
Mac Mini 2012 Memory Upgrade
2009 and earlier
Mac Mini 2012 Max Ram
To remove or install memory in the following Mac mini models, go to an Apple Authorised Service Provider.
Confirm that your Mac sees the new memory
To check that the computer recognises the new memory:
- Start up your computer.
- When you see your desktop, choose Apple () menu, then choose About This Mac.
- Confirm that the memory listed matches the memory you installed.
2012 Mac Mini Ram Upgrade
If the reported memory size isn't correct or if your Mac mini repeatedly plays three tones, it may be having trouble recognising a memory module. If this happens, shut down your Mac mini, verify the module specifications against the requirements for your Mac mini model, and then repeat the memory installation instructions to make sure that the modules are installed correctly. If you still have issues, remove the memory and consult the support information that came with the memory or contact the supplier who provided the memory.