If you ever need to view a password stored in a keychain, say to paste it into an app, you can do that. Launch Keychain access and click on the keychain where the password is stored. Then double-click on the keychain item and check the box next to show password. Type in the password for the keychain. 2016 Word/Excel for Mac Asking for Keychain Password I recently downloaded 2016 Office for Mac. I am getting pop-ups stating 'Microsoft Word wants to use your confidential information stored in Microsoft Identity xxxxxx in you keychain.' In the Keychain Access app on your Mac, choose Keychain Access Preferences. Click Reset My Default Keychain. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Apple menu Log Out. When you log in again, save your current login password in a keychain.
After you or your Mac administrator resets the password of your macOS user account, your Mac might ask you to update your keychain password or enter the password of your login keychain. It might also tell you that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. That's because your login keychain is still using your old password.
If you don't know your old password
If you don't know your old password, the solution is to create a new login keychain.
Passwords In Keychain Mac
If you know your old password
How To Access Keychain Passwords
If you know your old password, use that password to update your existing login keychain:
How To Update Keychain Password
- Open the Keychain Access app, which is in the the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
- From the list of keychains on the left side of the window, select 'login.'
- From the Edit menu in the menu bar, choose “Change Password for Keychain 'login.'”
- Enter the old password of your user account in the Current Password field. This is the password you were using before the password was reset.
- Enter the new password of your user account in the New Password field. This is the password you're now using to log in to your Mac. Enter the same password in the Verify field.
- Click OK when done, then quit Keychain Access.